Laura Spence , HT at Dalgety Bay Primary School has adopted a unique approach to ensure that career education is an integral part of the school improvement planning. Embracing the Career Education Standard 3-18 all staff have used Learning Resource 1: Introduction to the Career Education Standard in order to embed the entitlements into the learning and teaching across the school.
This approach has become a cluster model and has been recognised by and share across Fife Council .
The school’s vision of realising their ambitions to provide all children with opportunities to connect leanring with the world of work include the following actions :
- Teachers will provide creative opportunities to develop the skills for life in meaningful and relevant contexts within their class.
- All teacher will deliver 4D learning intentions, consistently linking each lesson to career education.
- Our weekly assemblies will regularly include information on specific careers, making children aware of the range of employment opportunities on offer.
- Children from P5 onwards will have access to the ‘My World of Work’ website where they will have the opportunity to explore different career options focusing on skills and qualifications.
- Classroom displays and planning will include links to Career Education throughout the school.
- We will continue to engage with local business partners and beyond to develop contacts and create a database of professionals prepared to support the school in developing Career Education within school.
- We will be planning and organising a Career Education Day that will take place on 22nd November 2016.
Find out more about Dalgety Bay Primary Schools approach by accessing the summary information and school DYW leaflet here: